Monday, October 18, 2010

The Great "Chicago Fire"

A muddler, some strawberries, limes, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and agave syrup....Sounds like a helluva meal right? Well this is good for your palate, but you wont eat it, adding one more thing and you have my custom "Luxury Drop" and cocktail, the "Chicago Fire"



Now whats a luxury drop you may ask? Well here's a little background on how i came up with the "Chicago Fire".


So a couple weeks ago I walk into Mercadito(Great Spanish restaurant in the River North section of Downtown Chicago) for a Don Julio event with the Master Distiller. So i walk into Double A(the downstairs lounge) and I see a table with Don Julio Blanco, Reposado, and Anejo, along with a myriad of ingredients from spices, to fruit, to syrups.. Needless to say I was amazed at the different variety that was available for sample. So myself and my partner Ray( @Bartend4fun on the twitter network) were entered into a impromptu contest to create the luxury drop.



So a luxury drop is not a 1oz shot, but not a full cocktail either. Its about 2oz of alcohol with an array of tastes inside it. So here is the "Chicago Fire"

Chicago Fire
Muddle 2 strawberries and 2 Lime
1 part Agave syrup
1.5 oz Don Julio
Dash of black pepper
Dash of Cayenne Pepper
Shake and strain
Float Cinnamon on top



Sounds crazy right??? Its super sweet but also spicy! So it hit each and every sense inside your tongue. Now unfortunately we didn't win the contest, BUT I had the opportunity to headline this drink at a private bday celebration over the weekend and needless to say everyone LOVED this drink! Most of the guys enjoyed it a little more spicy, and the ladies liked it sweeter. But its to your personal taste.

I doubled up on the Tequila and made it 2 1/2oz & by doing that it made the cocktail kick like nobodies business. This is a drink that can be made as a shot, or as a full blown cocktail. so if you love tequila, and like sweet and spicy,this is the drink for you!!

Oh and I almost forgot the most important part of this drink, and this is what takes the taste over the top, the Garnish... For a garnish you take a half of a strawberry, coat it with Cinnamon and Cayenne Pepper. Take 2 bites then swallow the shot!!! Will open you palate up like you've never felt before. Or you can just have the garnish with the cocktail version and dip it into your drink, the choice is yours...








Until Next time
Mr.Mixologist

5 comments:

  1. Outstanding blog sir. Gotta love the Chicago Fire. I'm just glad we were side by side to be able to showcase our talent and put together a great cocktail. Now we got to start out recipe book. STD & Chicago Frie are we pyromaniacs. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. INTRIGUED! I've never had a spicy drink....might I say though that I am quite impressed with your understanding of flavors and mixing. I promise good bartenders are HARD to find these days!I wouldn't dare order that from anyone BUT you #canttrustit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you sooooo much! I cannot wait to test it and then make it. Ericka

    ReplyDelete