Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 8- The "Sidecar" #30for30

In case you guys didn't know this about me, I'm gonna make it clear... I LOVE COGNAC!!! All types. VS, VSOP, XO.. I love it all. Remy Martin, Hennessey, Pierre Ferrand, etc... Cognac is the drink of Champions!!! But that's just in my opinion. But this discussion of Cognac brings me to today's #30for30 classic drink the Sidecar..

The Sidecar is normally made with Cognac, Orange Liqueur(Grand Marnier, Cointreau) and Lemon Juice. The origins of this drink were unclear ant first, but I digged deep into learning about one of my favorite cocktails. I found out that this drink was created shortly after World War 1 in either London or Paris.  The Ritz Hotel in Paris claims the Origin of the drink.

The first recipes for the Sidecar appear in 1922, in Harry MacElhone's Harry's ABC of Mixing Cocktails and Robert Vermeire's Cocktails and How to Mix Them.

In early editions of MacElhone's book, he cites the inventor as Pat MacGarry, "the Popular bar-tender at Buck's Club , London," but in later editions he cites himself. Vermiere says in his book, "This cocktail is very popular in France. It was first introduced in London by MacGarry, the celebrated bar-tender of Buck's Club."  Later on down the line, in David Embry's book,  The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks ,  he credits the drink to  an American Army captain in Paris during World War I "and named after the motorcycle sidecar in which the good captain was driven to and from the little bistro where the drink was born and christened".

Now normally I enjoy my Cognac straight up and in a snifter, as a sipping cocktail. But I enjoy a Sidecar as well. So how exactly to make one...

Sidecar
1 1/2 Cognac
3/4 Grand Marnier(or Cointreau)
3/4 Fresh Lemon Juice
Shake all ingredients and strain into a chilled cocktail glass, rimmed with sugar. Garnish with an Orange peel.






Now the classic version of the drink is the one that is posted here, but if you are not a huge fan of Cognac,  Modern bartenders have concocted Sidecars with Brandy, Cognac, Gin, Vodka and even Irish Whisky!!! If you are ever in Chicago, Ill definitely make you a delicious sidecar(shameless plug) or if you are in the downtown area go by the WIT hotel rooftop bar and taste their delicious Blood Orange Sidecar in which they use Blood Orange instead of Lemon juice. Gives a completely different take on this classic drink!! As you can see by the photo below I was pleased by this selection!




Until Next time
Mr.Mixologist

No comments:

Post a Comment