Monday, January 23, 2012

Mixing it up Mondays!

Alot of times when I work, people ask me how I come up with recipes. Or can they have my recipes so they can make my drinks at home. Usually its during the busiest time of the shift so I can't ever get right to it.. So since I'm back writing, on Monday's Ill post one of my recipes for a cocktail, whether it was something I was playing around with at home, or submitted it in a competition...

So the 1st one I can only lay claim to 50% of the brainstorming to come up with the recipe, but its a good one. Late last year Effen Vodka brought the Art of Design competition to the Hard Rock Hotel here in Chicago. It was an iron chef type of event, and we were randomly selected into pairs to come up with a cocktail and present it to the audience and judges. Note we only had about 30 mins tops to get everything together. I was paired with my main man Orlando( A Great bartender from the Underground Lounge here in Chicago) who we had never met before the event and we went to work. Funny part about the story was that we had a game plan, but all the ingredients that we wanted to use were taken before we could grab them. So we took mix and match approach and we created the WINNING cocktail called the "Abstract".

THE ABSTRACT
1.5oz Effen Black Cherry Vodka
1oz Red Pepper Infused Simple Syrup
.5 Thatchers Apple Ginger Liqueur
.5 Godiva White Chocolate Liqueur
Egg white
Garish with Thyme

Place all ingredients in a shaker. Shake Vigorously, then strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Place the Thyme right in the middle and enjoy. And then it should look a little something like this.......


 It sounds like it shouldn't go together, but when you taste it an array or flavors explode into your mouth. Hence the name the "Abstract" The premise of the competition was the Art of design, and well sometimes abstract art is the best type of art. Its what the artist saw and conveyed to you. Well this cocktail is what we saw, and we conveyed it to everyone at the event. Try it at home and let me know how it tuned out..

Until Next Time
Mr. Mixologist


No comments:

Post a Comment