Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Drink of the Week 8-21-10 Featuring The Vosges cocktail

Bacon, Chocolate, Vodka.....



Sounds like some weird breakfast pairing,.. But equally delicious at the same time. Now I love Bacon like the most men, but Bacon in a drink???? I had to examine further.

A few months ago, I saw that a Bacon Flavored Vodka was going to hit the market. I was torn, because while I love bacon AND Vodka(Normally a Cognac man, but love some Vodka cocktails) I wasn't sure about how they would pair together.

All that brings me to this blog post. I wake up this morning and I check my twitter timeline, and my good friend Alexander Garcia( follow him at @VodaMagazine ) Posts a pic of a delicious looking cocktail..... the "Vosges"


Immediately I was intrigued and wanted more info about this amazing looking cocktail.. Here is the words straight from Alexander's mouth...

"Last year BAKON started arriving on store shelves, a bacon flavored potato vodka. This raised some eyebrows and, like their home-brewed origins, mostly seen as a novelty items confined to Bloody Marys and other spicy/savory drinks.

Vosges Haut-Chocolat is a boutique chocolatier out of Chicago. The Mo's Bacon bar got a lot of attention, whether you love it or hate it, you didn't forget it. It was with Vosges Mo's Bacon Bar in mind that I came up with the cocktail. ...That and to show BAKON can do more that be put in a Bloody Mary. Now admittedly there are some recipes out there but not many.

I made this drink as I would most other cream drinks (e.g. Brandy Alexander, Pink Squirrel, etc.) but added Patron Cafe to help tie it together and round out the taste."
 
All I can say is wow.. For a person who's not big on chocolate, I really want to taste this drink!! So here is is..
 
 
 
The Vosges Cocktail
 
1 part BAKON vodka

.5 part Patron Cafe
1.5 part Creme de Cocao
3 parts creme


Prep is very easy... Ideally it good to use a milkshake mixer or blender to properly aerate and make it frothy

Rim the martini glass with agave syrup and dipped in cocoa powder. Pour drink and dust top with cocoa, add a pinch of bacon bits in the center. Garnish with Bacon.

The Finished Product....




I will be heading to Binny Beverage Depot this weekend to pick up the ingredients and make this wonderfully sounding drink. Here's a first hand account from Alex on the taste..

"I was honestly not expecting to like it but was surprised how good it actually was. The bacon is really subtle and not immediately recognizable and plays beautifully with the chocolate and coffee. The drink is smooth and creamy with a small bite. I don't know why but it reminds me of a Punche Crema (rum punch). When you serve it to someone without telling them it has bacon, it's one of those flavors where they can't quite put their finger on it. Once you tell them it has bacon they immediately recognize it."


So there you have it. Probably the best way to  have a Bacon flavored cocktail. I was very skeptical but now that Ive seen it, I'm ready to give it a shot. The last several years there been a resurgence in interest in bacon... probably started out as a joke but somehow a following grew. Then about last year I started hearing about people making their own vodka bacon infusions at home. Recipes and instructions started popping up on blogs all over the place. Still, it was something to just say you had but never really used.

Thanks to Alexander for providing me with the inspiration to go and play with this recipe and see what i can come up with.

Until Next time..
Mr.Mixologist

1 comment:

  1. Ok, we were dubious too...but we tried it, and you are completely correct. It's really good. Thanks for sharing your experimentation.
    Myrna at MartiniMischief.com

    ReplyDelete